Procedures and codes of conduct
- Creation of a Green Team in April 2010 with representatives from all departments of the hotel responsible for initiating and coordinating sustainable development projects.
- Measurement of water and energy. Calculation of carbon emissions. Reporting of monthly consumptions to Starwood.
- Awarded 2012 Green Key Membership, the label of environmental management for ecological tourist accommodation (Green Key is the largest global eco-label) respectful of the environment and natural resources, satisfying the criteria on water, energy, waste, cleaning products.
- The only hotel in the Alpes Maritimes rewarded by Head Councillors during a formal ceremony on 15 November 2013 with the " Bronze Trophy Climate Energy Plan of Alpes Maritimes ". Trophy presented by the President of the General Council in person.
Training and staff involvement
- Creation of an internal sustainability commitment charter signed by all employees and by each new employee.
- Green suggestion box is available to employees for free expression and development of various ideas on the theme of Sustainable Development.
- Green Team Newsletter is emailed quarterly to staff with information and to encourage habit change.
- Collection of “used” articles: batteries, ink cartridges, light bulbs, plastic caps, paper, corks
- Training of staff in better waste management.
- Carpooling is suggested.
- Integration of sustainable criteria in our purchasing procedures (Starwood procedures).
- Purchase recycled paper for all services and endorse new procedures to ensure that all documents provided to customers are also printed on recycled paper.
- Purchase of a range of certified green cleaning products " Ecolab ".
- Purchase of 7 Dysons hand dryers installed in both "guests" and "personal" cloakrooms.
- Respect of Starwood Code of Ethics.
- Support local organizations through donations of materials (Semeuse, Samu Social association, a few Parishes etc).
- Collection of toys organized each year for redistribution to disadvantaged children who are not lucky enough to have gifts for Christmas (Red Cross).
- Partnership between Le Méridien and UNICEF (UNICEF Check Out For Children program offers the possibility for guests to donate 1 € of their bill for children in Mozambique to be informed on the risks of HIV).
- Partnership Le Méridien Nice / UNICEF (UNICEF's Road to Awareness Program 2010) bicycle race in the Dolomites mountain range to raise funds which were donated to the Schools for Africa program: Participation of a Le Méridien Nice employee.
- Partnership Le Méridien Nice / UNICEF (UNICEF's Road to Awareness Program 2011) bicycle race in the French Alps to raise funds which were donated to an education project in Pakistan and Romania: Participation of a Le Méridien Nice employee.
- Le Méridien Nice participates in a treasure hunt annually organized in aide of UNICEF with the involvement of employees from all departments
- Annual participation in “60 Earth Hour " global event in support of Sustainable Development with organic cocktails and appetizers.
Respect for our environment
- Implementation of Make a Green Choice program allowing the customer to decline room service (an initiative that reduces the consumption of water, cleaning products, and chosen by the client). This program is now also available upon reservation.
- Housekeeping Program: all items returned by Dry cleaning are in certified 100% biodegradable bags.
- TVs are now turned off (no longer on standby) when the room is not rented
- Blackout curtains are drawn to reduce heat in rooms
- Installation of filtered water fountains for employees (less bottles).
- Recycling of paper, glass, cardboard, batteries, light bulbs, ink cartridges, plastic caps and cork waste as well as fats and cooking oils
- Automatic shutdown of computers after a certain idle time (10min).
- Distribution of internal handbook in digital format (CD) for each new employee.
- Gradual replacement of halogen by 4w or 5w LEDs.
- Replacement of all 100w bulbs by low consumption 35w bulbs.
- Key cards command electricity in rooms
And many other projects in progress...